Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Post 17 Rough Draft for Research Essay


“How Childrens’ Recreational Activities Outside of the Classroom Lead to Increased Literacy”

 

Introduction

In this present study I am going to examine my son to see what types of activities enrich his literacy out of school. Mary Louise Pratt states in her research that "Literacy began for Sam (which is her son) with newly pronounceable names on the picture cards and brought him what has been easily the broadest, most varied, most enduring, and most integrated experience of his thirteen-year life”.

 I will observe the different activities my son does to enrich his literacy and interview my son to get an inside look on how he uses materials such as books, cards, magazines to help to expand his discourse between friends. Children love to talk with each other through things that they have in common with each other. Much to the chagrin of teachers everywhere, children could go on for hours about what they love to do and what they watch on the television instead of focusing on their schoolwork. At the present time our society has radically evolved with the advent of smartphones and other technologies which children use to look up information at their fingertips. Knowledge is everywhere. Whether is in the mediums I listed above or on a Kindle, young people learn in ways older generations could have only dreamed about. My goal is to expand upon on what Mary Louise has researched and use technology to elaborate on what Pratt did not use when she conducted her research because technology was not as popular as it is now in the 21st century.

            This topic is near and dear to my heart because my son has overcome his fear of literacy with activities, trading cards, books, and magazines he loves to read or especially if it has anything to do with wrestling. This has helped him engage in different types of discourse among his friends and classmates. The research will not attempt to predict right or wrong with the examinations but determine if my findings are helpful in enriching children’s literacy through activities, technology, and reading materials they love to read.

Literature Review

            I began my research from an article I have read entitled Arts of the Contact Zone by Mary Louise Pratt. According to her research she has shown that children learn literacy through activities, books, magazines, and trading cards they like to read.  Pratt goes on to say that “I was delighted to see schooling give Sam the tools with which to find and open all these doors”. She then adds, “At the same time I found it unforgiveable that schooling itself gave him nothing remotely as meaningful to do”. In my research I would like to address another material that she does not mention in her research which it is using different technologies such as computers and a Kindle. I would like to take a look on how children use this to expand what they learn. They use these methods to find out what moves they could apply on the games they are playing with on their consoles. Although they are not likely consciously aware of their learning just as with more traditional ways of such as baseball cards, for example, children are still supplementing their knowledge of vocabulary that ultimately translates to improved literacy both within the confines of their school and in the outside world.

Methodology

            I conducted two twenty minutes interviews which I recorded my 10 year old son. Each interview took place in the comfort of his own room. I conducted an interview because it was a personal topic and it just made valuable to me. I wanted to get an inside look on how my son uses some of these materials and engages in some of the activities he does to expand on his literacy without  him really realizing it. I asked opened-ended questions that were related to literacy in ways that were easy for him to understand and that he would be comfortable answering.  I then analyzed the interview data and I characterized the responses into different categories. Afterwards, I observed two different kinds of engaging activities that. I then went on to distinguish what he does to enhance his literacy skills. This helped me to see how my son was able to use different tools to enhance and come up with different ideas he could use for his game. He is enhancing his literacy by reading what is projected on the screen.            

Presentation of Data and Analysis

            The following are the questions and answers of my interview sessions with my son. After each statement there is a subsequent analysis that ties in his responses to the broader world of literary research on children’s learning techniques for language and cognitive development.

J- Is Myself

JC-Is Interviewee

 

J: What kinds of activities do you like to do out of school?

JC: I like to read wrestling magazines, books that are fun to read, use the computer to look up stuff, play video games, I collect playing cards such as wrestling, baseball, Pokemon. I sometimes give them to my friends  

He is expanding his discourse among his friends with activities they do outside of school and that they have in common. He reads books and magazines that are fun and interesting to him.

J: Which activity do you like to do the most?

JC: I like to play my wrestling game WWE 2K 14. It is cool! I love this game! It’s Awesome!

He is using activities that are fun for him to learn new ideas and vocabulary that will be subsequently used in his discourse community of friends. The new lexis that will be introduced can serve to further strengthen their overall knowledge and can also strengthen the social bond between them.

J: What do you do to find new moves or if you are stuck on a level?

JC: I use the computer or my grandma’s Kindle to find out what move to do next.

JC uses technology to expand on his different genres and how to find what he is looking for by having to read what the steps are in the description given on the screen of the computer or kindle.

J: Does the computer help you out to find what you want?

JC: Yes. It gives me clues to be able to help me move on to the next level or it helps me get different moves to be able to beat the other wrestlers. I apply the signature moves and that wrestler is DONE!

He takes the time to find out what he can do to beat the game. JC is expanding his vocabulary with words that he is taking off the screen and applying it to whatever game he is playing. He learned how to interpret “clues” and how to apply clues across different platforms.

J: How do you get the information on what you need off the computer?

JC: I sometimes have to read what it says. Sometimes you have to help me read what is on it because the words are too big for me to read or I see the moves on You Tube. I like to see it because it makes it easier to apply the move to the wrestler.

He looks for someone to help him when he cannot read what is on the screen of the games and of the technology he is using. This shows that he is determined to find out whatever it is that he needs to accomplish the task he wants to improve in.

J: What else do you do for fun?

JC: I read books about wrestling. I learn a lot. I learn like where my favorite wrestlers are born, how old they are, when did they start wrestling, how many title championships have they won, what are their signature moves, you know, lots of other stuff.

He is expanding on his genres and vocabulary. He is taking lots of information and processing it to his benefit.

J: When you are at school or outside of school what do you and your friends like to talk about?

JC: We talk about anything. We talk about wrestling. Wrestling is our favorite. We talk about…um um the moves that the wrestlers apply to one another. If we saw any of the shows like Monday Night Raw or Smack Down. We talk about what we saw and if we liked who won the match. It is so cool to be able to talk to my friends about the shows. We sometimes try to, you know, do the moves on each other. We get to talk a lot at lunch time and sometimes when we have recess or specials.

His discourse is fun and exciting for him and his friends. It is mentioned in Swales’ work that discourse communities must have a common goal and for them it is wrestling.

J: At school do you get to read books for fun?

JC:  I read WWE Books. Sometimes we do when we have free time or lunch and recess. But I like to come home and use the computer before uh I do homework or I’ll read the book my teacher gives us.

He is improving his literacy skills and with the help of the teacher they are learning different genres that they could apply with other subjects they are learning in school and out.

J: What do you do on the computer?

JC: Look up plays for the games I like to play. The moves to beat the games. And who won the wrestling matches on TV and I try to watch the shows I don’t have that much time to see them so I squeeze them in.

Using technology to increase what he has learned and take it a step further and apply whatever learned and build on it.

J: What do you and your friends talk about that you have in common?

JC: Sometimes I talk about wrestling stuff into like doing games and talking about it with my friends. We talk about who won last night on tv. We talk about their entrance sons and their finisher wrestling moves. And we talk about um which ones are our favorite wrestlers.

Swales points out that there are lexis among the discourse communities which only the community knows and this is one of them. As an outsider conducting this interview there is lexis that I don’t know about but my son and his friends know like the entrance songs and lyrics. I am not very familiar the names of the wrestlers’ finishing moves but learned them as I interviewed him. They are learning so much by just having a common interest among each other. 

J: What do you like to do with your trading cards?

JC: Sometimes when we bring them to school and we play with them at recess time. We look at the pictures. We look at the numbers to see who won who has the most numbers and then they win and if you lose you trade with someone else and sometimes we trade them with each other.

Building vocabulary, arithmetic skills, developing sense of patterns, and order of arranging and rearranging cards. Enriching literacy and discourse among friends without having a clue that they are teaching each other.

J: Why do you like to read the wrestling ones more than any other book?

JC: Because they are entertaining and they have the best legends in history of entertainment like Shawn Michaels, The Kings of Kings Triple H, Ric Flair, and MY FAVORITE WRESTLER JOHN CENA!

He is having fun reading books that are interesting to him and he reads because he wants to, not because it is assigned to him. He is learning while engaging in something he likes to do. JC is opening and learning new vocabulary he could use in his discourse and any discourse he has among his friends.

 

Discussion of findings

 

Conclusion

            As we have seen through this analysis of JC’s learning style and with his interaction with his friends, it is clearly apparent that the acquisition of literacy skills is not confined to the four walls of a classroom. Learning is not done in a vacuum. It is really done in the real world of interactions made at home, at social gatherings, or anywhere where 2 or more people can interact. The knowledge that is written down in books began not with the author making realizations in an isolated room. It came from observing, communicating, and participating in society. Specialized groups (i.e., discourse communities) form based on a common interest. The knowledge found there spreads to other areas of life (in this case, what JC learns from his friends, some of this will translate into his school work in the form of increased academic achievement). Learning about literacy also works the other way. The lessons learned at school (such as learning to read using computers) would likely lead to increased computer usage due to their familiarity with this technology. This new, reciprocal way of learning is beneficial to improving literacy skills that will only continue to increase with the spread of media and technology around us.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment